LET US UNDERSTAND CREATIVITY:
Creativity is beautiful word and asset of human race. – Creativity enables us to create something new and valuable. The creativity can be of thought process, or material objects.
Function Of Creativity:
Creativity is function of the mind where new thought solutions or concepts take shape. Creativity could be mere Idea, invention, or song or a musical composition. It could be a thought process invention, write up, Art work Sculpture or just out of the box idea.
EDUCATION AND CREATIVITY:
Education has lot of potential to implant creativity through rigorous training and education amongst teachers and students basically the thought process. Creative approach makes or mars success of the student or child –
Each and every invention, discovery or unusual product is the result of creative mind.
Light bulb moment: Imagine someone must have thought of Bulb then light then electricity was born. Falling apple brought us Law of Gravity. Birds inspired invention of an airplane. Discovery of wheel or creating the wheel has been most revolutionary and adaptable till date-
But for wheels we would not have cars, aeroplanes, bicycle, scooters, and trains or for that matter any form of transport.
Machinery, watch, dials many gadgets mixis or for that matter includes all work on the model of wheel.
Although, ‘Creativity’ is light bulb moment. Yet for another mentor to instill creativity we sub divide it into stages of creativity
Getting Ready –prepare for creative experience by collecting materials information identifying the source of information and collecting knowledge about the ideas at hand.
CREATIVITY AND SCIENTIFIC ENQUIRY:
We must learn from the spirit of scientific enquiry and how we can optimize our own ideas into being by using that as background.
Think how artist, writers, architects come up with the creative ideas? It is very tough to answer but creative mind is complex, draws on the whole brain. There is no ready formula for
creativity, but thought and thinking is there for sure. Let us be doers and see how we can develop creativity amongst toddlers?
We at JBM Smart Start believe in instilling creative mind set of children right from the beginning.
1. Dramatic and Pretend Play: As we were building and designing interiors and exteriors of JBM Smart Start. We started incorporating the elements that would stretch child’s imagination. Our Principal Dr. Upma Arora designed and recreated the whole setup where in children could play and recreate House- House, Doctor-Doctor, Police-Police Fire engine or Super Market.
All the beautiful things were molded on the outer walls in nature series to inspire children in awe and gratitude of our creator.
2. Messy Play: Be it leaving foot prints on the sand of time with ‘alta’ or ‘muddy feet or creating foot impressions’ with sand play. Also making’ palm impressions’ with colours or’ henna’, teachers at JBM Smart Start are always at it.
Teachers under the leadership of Dr.S. Bhandari, (Director) are always encouraged to explore creative limits where they can lead their children and enhance their exploratory spirit.
3. Physical Play: Physical play is important for agile mind and body and of course one of the 4 pillars of balanced upbringing at JBM Smart Start. It was more than evident at recently concluded Junior Aahwaan- the sports day where child participated with full Vigor and showed their Prowess.
Songs, books, riddles and rhymes as creative high-
Teacher’s often use or rephrase songs and rhymes to generate interest. Bringing it close to life situation of the child and make on the spot rhyme to involve children. Often teach and quiz the children about the concept taught, guessing games etc.
Giving Toddlers plentiful material and ask them to sort out or recognize the desired object which you have touched upon conceptually. Add on lines to the known rhymes so that they may learn the art of playing with the words.
Come rain come winters, good teacher always knows how to engage the young inquisitive minds. Keep them away from TV on rainy or bone chilling day:-
1. Harness the restlessness with pencil and paper or slate and chalk games.
2. Make Fort and Palaces out of the boxes and cushions-children building the highest tower wins. Make your own puzzles with big drawings cut out.
3. Music and dance, Story and rhymes can be increased or decreased as per the Freeze game rules for dancing and statute, make your own medals.
4. Skits out of bag- Divide the children in groups at home or school and put few play things and accessories in it like cap , socks, spoons and make it imaginative skit.
5. Hide and seek – All time favourite with children can never go wrong.
6. Marking tape can be used for balance or stepping in the straight lines, curves and vertical or horizontal lines there by teaching them the concept.
7. Blow the bubbles.
8. Listening Games- Act and react as per the command.
9. Recognize the sounds.
10. Feel and touch –Put several items in a box which they feel and touch and guess without seeing it.
Learning and creativity in Pre-School
1) It is our Endeavour to develop creativity and imagination. Let them Explore sense of sight, hearing, touch, smell, and taste and bring such activities on the table to simulate them.
2) Let them know about larger world they live in and their place in it.
3) Accentuate their conversations and social skills
4) Memory games one way or the other enhance their recall and memory.
HOW TO EDUCATE PRE-SCHOOLERS?
For the all –round development implant text book knowledge informally. Learning should never be stressful and should be enjoyable like:
a) Weather Calendar
b) Alphabet Hunt
d) Count and tell
e) Alphabets and associations
f) Identify the body parts etc.
Importance of Pre-School Education
1) Very First time children are coming face to face with the outside world away from home.
2) Children become more aware of themselves with the background of others and build self esteem.
3) This early education experience cannot be replaced.
4) Pre- School education should be full of fun and activities.
5) No time for boredom or dullness in Pre- School we must ensure that.
6) Bring in the subtle difference between things that are same yet different.
7) Some Opinion and Concepts are imprinted in child’s mind for life.
8) First step for managing time and value time.
9) Multiple Co-curricular and extra activities should be provided to keep interest heightened.
10) Individuality of each child should be developed and not hampered as it is unique asset of each child.
PRE SCHOOLERS AND CREATIVITY GO TOGETHER-
We at JBM Smart Start Greater Noida West under mentorship of Dr.S.Bhandari, engage
children’s imagination through dance, drama, storytelling sessions music, arts and ensure that our SMARTIES evolve with social, emotional and physical wellness and Language is reasonably developed. We even have months to focus on these activities. For Ex: We celebrate this month with action words or Verbs with actions during our sports day like Running, hopping , jumping
,walking, eating , blinking etc etc.
Icing on the cake would be if parents also repeat at home what we do at school.
I am sure that readers would agree that creativity is integral part of child’s development and there is no replacement for the good school with creative vision and innovative teachers.