Before we talk of HEALTHY SLEEP ROUTINE– We must understand importance of sleep.
It is vital for all of us to get adequate sleep if we do not get enough sleep; it can cause long time health problems. It has a role to play in our well-being throughout our life. Our waking hours depends on Productive quality of sleep we have had.
Our thinking reactions, learning, working, and comradeship also depend on sleep. Our metabolism and immune system is linked with quality of our sleep.
Circadian Clocks –
Effect our fat, liver and muscles. We cannot digest our food properly till we have had proper sleep to digest our food.
SLEEP ROUTINE FOR CHILDREN
If children do not sleep enough, it can affect their:
2. Binge eating especially fatty, sweet and salty foods
3. Display Inactive physical behavior especially lethargy.
4. Metabolic equilibrium is lost leading to obesity.
People who do not get enough sleep are more prone to infections and cold.
Remember- Advantage of Good sleep routine
Good sleep contributes to long lasting memory, focus and clarity.
Healthy School Routine
We will now focus on how much hours of sleep is recommended for pre-schoolers and other student in higher classes.
As per research-
• Preschoolers between the age of 3 years to 5 years must get 10 to13 hours of sleep in a whole day.
• Children between 6 years to 12 years should sleep for 9 to 12 hours per day.
• Teens 13 years to 18 years must get 8-10 hours of sleep.
Let’s encourage healthy sleep pattern’s. Real good time for pre-schoolers to sleep is between 7:30pm to 08:30 pm. It is good for them to get sound sleep between 08:30pm to 6:00 am.
HEALTHY MORNING ROUTINE LEADS TO HEALTHY SLEEP ROUTINE
We need to allocate miniscule time with the clock work precision for the daily morning activities.
Also Read: What Are The Benefits Of Abacus For Kids?
Let us scan – Morning ablutions are direct result of good sleep.
1. Personal hygiene like brushing teeth and maintaining /combing hair .
2. Bathing, washing, freshen up.
3. Dressing up for school.
4. Properly wear socks, tie shoe laces.
5. Packing lunch
6. Checking and rechecking the school bag and stationary box.
7. Saying goodbye and morning prayers.
8. Morning routine should be so designed so, that it proves stress free. Food or morning breakfast plays a vital role in this. We must plan the breakfast menu which consists of Vitamins, protein and carbohydrates to keep the energy level high otherwise children can droop or feel sleepy with tummy pangs.
Not deviating any further to the morning routine I bring the focus back to sleep routine and sleep habits.
Also Read: 15 Reasons Why Preschool Is Important
HEALTHY SCHOOL ROUTINE FOR SCHOOL CHILDREN ESPECIALLY TODDLERS-
Vital Sleep Habits –
1. Keep consistency in walking up and sleeping hours.
2. Plan steady rituals around bedtime
3. Dinner must be served at least an hour before sleeping.
4. As far as possible make the children sleep in the bed room only.
5. Understanding Sleep Patterns:
With age, our sleep requirement changes:
For various reasons there is insufficient sleep duration amongst children.
6. Viewing excessive television and over exposure yourself to electronics is one such reason.
7. Strange but true that as per geographic and demographic. Sleep patterns get hit , we must always give priority to improve sleep health.
8. When it comes to parents, they must monitor, if child is having trouble sleeping too much or struggles to fall asleep. Keep your antennas upto note.
• Do the children fall asleep out of routine during the day?
• Do children snore and gasp for breathe while sleeping.
Some questions that need to be answered by care-givers and parents.
Getting into the usual sleeping pattern
• How often does the child wake up well rested?
• How often child created tantrums getting out of the bed in the morning?
• How often child complains about being tired during the day?
• Teachers to report how frequently child falls asleep during school, watching TV or riding in a car?.
• Also, now frequently child follows the routine for sleeping at the same time?
• How often child wakes up at the same time?
• During the past, how often child overslept or under slept or created trouble sleeping?
Such follow up on sleeping pattern is assistive in stabilizing the sleep pattern as per family or individual’s habit pattern.
All in all stable sleep routine is key to good sleeping habits. At JBM Smart Start we always advice parents to adhere to the routine.